Cancelled, postponed, suspended, and even shuttered…we probably don’t need to catalog for you the catastrophic effect of the coronavirus pandemic on the arts world. But in the face of these daunting conditions, the Heifetz Institute will carry on!
Thanks to the vision and determination of our Artistic Director Nicholas Kitchen, the Heifetz Virtual Summer Institute will be the first major concert music festival to operate exclusively online. And we’re delighted to report that this bold move has been met with an overwhelmingly positive response from our students and faculty. Not only will “The Show Go On,” but more importantly, the transformative musical and communicative education that is part and parcel of the Heifetz summer experience will continue in both traditional and innovative ways.
But now the hard part begins.
There’s no denying that we are trying to take this new Virtual Institute to the air in the teeth of some gale-force financial headwinds. In compliance with Governor Northam’s Executive Order, we have closed our downtown Staunton gift shop. A summer without performances also means a summer without any ticket or concession revenue. To make the Virtual Institute more affordable for our students and their families who are also facing financial uncertainty, we have cut tuition to by more than 50%. We have similarly reduced the salaries of our permanent staff, and gone through the painful exercise of laying off almost all of our summer staff.
But here’s what we are not cutting: Our commitment to our exceptionally talented students and our world-class faculty. Virtual or not, we will honor all scholarship commitments to #Heifetz2020 students, the contracts to our faculty, and we are determined to create the very best summertime musical experience possible in the virtual realm.
Please join us in creating something vibrant and potentially game-changing – a new digital paradigm in the world of concert music. We always treasure your support, but in this moment your generosity will help us face the challenges with all our energy.
Heifetz Performance & Communication Training Director Daniel Pettrow discusses how the innovative, comprehensive, and cross-disciplinary curriculum will be brought to the digital realm for students of the 2020 Virtual Summer Institute.
Heifetz Institute President & CEO Benjamin K. Roe and Artistic Director Nicholas Kitchen announce the launch of the “Virtual Heifetz 2020,” an ambitious new initiative to transform the Heifetz Institute’s renowned summer training program and “Festival of Concerts” into the virtual realm, including a demonstration of how string students and faculty pianists will continue to perform together.
SUPPORT THE VIRTUAL HEIFETZ INSTITUTE
- $100 – DIGITAL TOOL KIT (Donate Now) All faculty will be provided with a “Digital Tool Kit” including USB microphone, headphones, and tripod to ensure quality and consistency of the virtual experience for our students.
- $240 – VIRTUAL SEASON PASS (Donate Now) In addition to creating a new paradigm in online training, we’ll also continue to connect students with our community of music lovers, supporters, and patrons both locally and worldwide in a regular slate of concerts through The Heifetz Virtual Concert Hall. All concerts will be available on our YouTube and Facebook channels for seven days following the broadcast, at which point they will be available in the archives for our Virtual Season Pass Holders.
- $500 – CONCERT SPONSORSHIP (Donate Now) Receive recognition as an official presenting sponsor in the concert program and accompanying notes for a virtual concert during our summer programming. (LIMIT 4 PER CONCERT)
- $1,500 – HALF-SCHOLARSHIP (Donate Now) Support a deserving student with a half-scholarship during this challenging time.
- $2,975- FULL-SCHOLARSHIP (Donate Now) Make the ultimate commitment by providing a full scholarship for a deserving student.
- Or donate any amount of your choice here. Every bit helps!