The Ashkenasi – Kirshbaum Chamber Music Seminar will take place at the Heifetz Institute from June 24 – Aug. 9, 2019.
For 2019 the Ashkenasi/Kirshbaum Chamber Music Seminar will be 100% tuition free for successful applicants. The Seminar is named after famed artists and co-directors violinist Shmuel Ashkenasi (Curtis Institute of Music), and cellist Ralph Kirshbaum (USC Thornton School of Music). The seminar is open to advanced violin, viola, and cello students interested in a summer of intense and highly focused study of the masterworks of the chamber music literature. Pre-formed string quartets and piano trios preparing for professional careers are encouraged to apply.
- Faculty: Shmuel Ashkenasi (violin/viola); Ralph Kirshbaum (cello)
- Additional private lesson instruction: David Geber (Amereican String Quartet, cello); Yeesun Kim (Borromeo Quartet, cello); Nicholas Kitchen (Borromeo Quartet, violin); Kristopher Tong (Borromeo Quartet, violin); Mai Motobuchi (Borromeo Quartet, viola); Philip Setzer (Emerson Quartet, violin), and other Heifetz Institute faculty.
- Limited to 12 participants – either individual musicians or pre-existing quartets or piano trios
- Three 80-minute coachings per week
- 1 private lesson per week
- Weekly chamber music Stars of Tomorrow concert exclusively for Seminar participants
- Other performance opportunities available on an approved basis, including Mondays on Market, Stars of Tomorrow, Sunday Matinees, Celebrity Series, and outreach performances
- Seminar students may also participate in the Saturday night Heifetz Hootenanny multi-genre performances
- Heifetz Performance and Communication Training© classes exclusively for Seminar students
- Nationwide Heifetz On Tour concert opportunities throughout the year for alumni
- Residencies, partnerships, and audition opportunities with performing arts centers and major orchestras
- Industry leading HD audio and video productions
There are separate audition requirements for the Seminar. To be considered, please indicate your interest as part of your application. You may click here for more information regarding audition requirements for the Ashkenasi/Kirshbaum Chamber Music Seminar as well as our summer program. Please email email@example.com for more information.